Thursday, October 29, 2009

Series: Gift Stockpiling




Welcome to a new weekly series! Each Thursday I will tell you more about how to create a gift stockpile and fill you in on great opportunities for your stockpile throughout the week.

I wanted to photograph my closet where I store my gift stockpile, but there are several readers that might see their Christmas gifts so I couldn't do that. Instead I photographed the tags from my Target shopping experience yesterday and the free Connect Four game.

Today I had about 15 minutes to spare on my drive home so I stopped in Target and quickly hit all their endcaps around the store. I scored BIG. I was able to find 3 Christmas presents and 2 things that we need in our household for very little money. The following are a few rules that work for me (find a version that works for you):
  • Get organized! Make a general list of people you shop for throughout the year and their likes and dislikes. I always leave some extra space on this list because sometimes you need a gift for a secretary, new friend, or gift exchange party.

  • Put the list somewhere accessible. I keep my list in my coupon binder. There is no reason to have it if you can't find it. Also, decide how you will manage gifts when you get them. I note what I got and put a sticky note with that person's name on it so I don't forget or loose the gift. I also keep an extra small box where I put general gifts that are not for any specific person. (Ex: pretty candle, stationary, neat pens)

  • I will only buy items if they are at least 75% off. I didn't start out with this rule, but as I got better about shopping this way I found that it isn't that difficult as long as I consistently look for items.

  • Know where the clearance section is in your favorite stores. Target is my favorite store for gift stockpiling, but I also frequent Tuesday Morning (in Garner, NC), Borders, REI, and Brad's Deals.

If you still aren't sure about gift stockpiling consider the points below:

  • You will be shopping endcaps at Target anyway looking for good coupon deals.

  • You will find amazing stuff for nothing. Yesterday, Target in Garner had $100 old fashioned popcorn makers on sale for $25 and a $129.99 nice George Foreman grill on sale for $25. Borders (at Six Forks and Wake Forest Road in Raleigh) has nice candles 75% off and $50 Baby Delivery Room survival kits for 75% off. Do you really want to miss these sales?

  • It suddenly seems crazy to pay full price for stuff after you start noticing all the clearance!

Hopefully this will get you started thinking about a gift stockpile. I have a lot of fun finding silly gifts and unique gifts for friends and family. I also don't have stress about gift finding because I do it all year.

Head over to Target this week and do a few coupon deals. Then hit their end caps and grab some great stuff for nothing! Let us know in the comments section if you find anything we need to run and buy!

~Thriftynester

No comments: