Thursday, October 22, 2009

News About Coupons


Check out all the stuff in the picture above! It was bought several months ago during a triple coupon event at Harris Teeter. Almost all of it was FREE or nearly free. This picture is an example of why I spend time cutting coupons, printing Internet coupons, sorting coupons and organizing coupons. It is pretty amazing what I can get for nothing when I actually use coupons. I've decided my hourly wage is pretty high to cut and organize coupons (as long as I actually get out and find the deals consistently).

Last week, I told you about Rachel Ray's show and all the interesting facts about couponers here. This week, I have another interesting quick article for you. This article discusses the world of couponing. It reminded me how overwhelming the coupon world can be when you first enter it. Here are a few things to think about when you are reading:
  • You CAN learn the tricks of the coupon world quickly.
  • You CAN spend $50 or less per week on groceries. I now budget about $150 a month and we generally stick to this budget. (A year and half ago we were well over $300 and I have no idea what we bought.)
  • If you really want to get stuff for free, you MUST build a stockpile. (That means you will buy several tubes of toothpaste when it is free or a moneymaker instead of running to Target to pay $4 for toothpaste when you need it.)
  • Be friendly with other couponers. I have learned a great deal about coupon rules and policies over the last year by asking other people with binders open at the grocery store my questions. By nature they are mavens and will likely share their knowledge happily!
  • You MUST be organized! I mentioned this last week. It is that important. Find a method that works for you and be consistent about clipping and organizing your coupons.

Happy reading!

~Thriftynester

No comments: