Sunday, November 23, 2008

Super Baking Sunday!

Well it was a super baking Sunday! Not sure what got into me today, but I spent the day making frugal recipes using what I had on hand, and everything turned out delicious!

First up was pumpkin muffins. I used a weight watchers recipe so these may not be the taste for everyone since they use less sugar they aren't very sweet. But they are 1 point for the mini's and 3 for the large ones. I froze them in baggies I can throw in lunches and a batch to take out for next week.



Yesterday I got ground turkey burger from Costco. I learned about a trick to stretch your ground burger by adding veggies (carrots, onion, and celery) when cooking it up. So I sauteed the veggies in the pan before adding the burger. Then I put into individual baggies so this will make for a easy and frugal protein to toss into pasta or tacos or on tortilla chips and its already pre-cooked! I highly suggest this, a time saver in the future!


Next up was making crock pot chili. I pretty much made my own version of this based on several recipes that I have tried.




One Pot Crock Pot Chili
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 can of kidney beans drained
1 can of black beans drained
1 onion chopped
3/4 cup carrots chopped
basil, oregano, salt and pepper, chili powder to taste

Stir together in crock pot and let simmer on high or 4 hours or low for 6-8 hour


Lastly I made carrot cake! This was my first time ever making this, but all those carrots I had inspired me to use them in a new way. I again used a weightwatchers recipe that used less sugar and also wheat flour, and it came out really tasty. Even supportiveheels approves! I am going to experiment with the batter for muffins for our upcoming muffin swap!

No comments: