Saturday, November 7, 2009

Series: Cooking from the Pantry

Eating from the Pantry is going well, and it has given me the opportunity to be more creative with everyday items. On the menu this past week was spinach spaghetti with garlic toast and slaw. I used many ingredients I already had on hand, with few fresh ingredients from my weekly budget.

Spinach Spaghetti
Half box whole wheat pasta (FREE from stockpile)- follow directions on box

Sauce:-Jar of store bought sauce (I have a stockpile of this I got for 25 cents each!)
-2 cups of fresh spinach
-spices to taste

*Simmer sauce in stove top, add in spinach towards the end. I used basil and oregano plus some salt in the sauce.
*Toss the pasta into the sauce, on low, and allow for it to mix. Top with Parmesan cheese.


Cranberry Coleslaw

-Half a small head of green cabbage
-1/2 cup of Cranberries
-2 Tablespoons of Light Mayo or Miracle Whip
-1 Tablespoon of a vinegar, I used apple cider vinegar
-Sprinkle of sugar or sweetener, I used splenda

*Chop cabbage into strips. Mix together vinegar and mayo in small bowl, whip in sweetener. Toss with cabbage, add cranberries. Soy nuts or sunflower seeds are also great in this, I just didn't have any on hand.

Garlic Toast

*Instead of spending money on garlic toast, and in order to control the butter, I usually make my own. Take whole wheat bread (or any kind of bread you have) and either spread on butter or use a spray (I used I can't Believe it's not Butter spray). Sprinkle on garlic salt and toast in oven or toaster oven. Then for an added touch if you have fresh garlic, rub on garlic glove after toasted. Still tastes great, for less $ AND calories!

Look for my update on my grocery savings, and more recipes, as I continue "Eating from the Pantry"!

--Savvyteacher

No comments: