Monday, November 2, 2009

Series: Cooking From the Pantry


In October I informed you about the challenge I was about to take with my grocery budget. This challenge was to "eat" from the pantry while cutting my grocery budget. I decided that $15 a week was not enough wiggle room while I figured out how to cut my budget even more, so I changed to working on a $20 a week budget. Therefore, I would need to use most ingredients I had from my pantry and freezer and find other ways to cut my grocery budget. I started this challenge with 3 weeks left in October. I was successful, however looking back at the amount of "take out" charges, I realize that part of my budget must be reworked in order to feel the savings.

October 3 week budget: $60
Spent during those weeks: $54.39
Results: Under budget!


I am happy with this success because it included an unplanned dinner for guests as well. However, I had to make some decisions about "take out" and how I could control my spending and save more money! In the past I have used an all cash envelope system for my budget such as groceries, drug store game, and going out. This worked! With being so busy I allowed myself to get away from this... but I am back!

The Plan:

Use an envelope system with cash for groceries, going out/eating out and the drug store game (my out of pocket at stores like Walgreens and CVS). Eat from the pantry and save more this month! I have aquired some major medical expenses from last month so I am looking to find a way to pay those without taking a hit to my small teacher salary!

November:
Grocery budget: $80
Drug Store Game: $20
Entertainment/meals out: $40


Each week I'll update you on where I am at with my challenge, and look forward to pictures and posts of recipes I create as I "eat from the pantry"!

No comments: