Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Series: Cooking from the Pantry, Potato Pouches!


So two weeks ago I utilized my day off for Veteran's Day to organize my pantry with all of my newly stocked items from triple couponing. While doing this I realized I had 19, yes, 19 pouches of potatoes that I had got for about 4 cents each during triple coupons at Harris Teeter. I know these do not expire for a long time, but it got me thinking on how I could utilize all of these potatoes and I came up with a few ways I'd like to share with you.

1. Donate some! I realized that even though I could probably end up using all of these without letting them expire, donating some to a local food pantry or food drive allows me to give without breaking my very tight budget. As I cleaned out my pantry and organized, I pulled out many items that I had several of and made a donation bag. This included several packages of potatoes!

2. Cook with them! Use them in recipes! Below is a picture of my version of Shepherds Pie. Instead of real mashed potatoes on top, I used 2 bags of the redskin pouches. Tasted almost the same, and definitely delicious!


3. Use them as meal sides. There are many meals that go great with mashed potatoes. This weekend I did a slow cooker pork roast, whipped up a bag of those potatoes and a salad and enjoyed a well rounded meal. They actually taste really good, and I bet your family wont even know the difference!

Get creative, and enjoy.... Cooking from the Pantry!!

--Savvyteacher

No comments: