Sunday, January 25, 2009

Vegetable Soup Recipe


Yes, I know, applause please........I also made soup tonight! I feel very stocked up now that I added quite a bit of soup containers to my stock of freezer foods. This way I can save the cans of Progresso I stocked up on during cheap sales for when I run out. I actually prefer making my own soup since you can control the ingredients that go in it. I packaged them in several different sizes, 1 cup containers to take for work, 2 cup containers for dinners, and then I made a larger one that I'm gong to eat out of for dinners over this week. It's a perfect way to get your veggies in and the great thing is, you can throw pretty much whatever you have on hand in the pot! Each time I make it, it has been different. And the easiest part was that I had already chopped up the soup starter stuff the other day so I had that ready to go and it made it very easy. I made this pot for probably under $4 and its making 7 plus servings.


The Task: Homemade Vegetable Soup

The Ingredients:
-about a cup and a half each of chopped carrots and celery
-one onion chopped
-2 cloves minced garlic
-6-8 cups of chicken broth (I did 6...depends on how brothy you like it)
-Any extra veggies you have on hand (I love using cabbage or spinach but had none, so I threw in a frozen bag of mixed veggies)
- on can of diced tomatoes
-2 tbs of tomato paste
*any spices you like-- I add a few dashes of salt, pepper, thyme, and basil
*you can add rice or pasta towards the end (I threw in a cup of fussili pasta)


The Directions:

Spray a large pot with cooking spray. Saute' onion, celery, garlic and carrots, for about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, veggies, and spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. If you are going to add quick cook rice or any pasta add it now, then simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Package how it works for you, and enjoy!

No comments: