Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Recycle Your Books, and Make Money Too!


Do you have books laying around, cluttering your house or collecting dust? Cookbooks you aren't using, textbooks from the past, or just a collection of random books?
There are several ways you can recycle these items, many of them online, but one way is to find a local used bookstore that "buys" books and offers store credit, and even better, cash for your old books.
If you happen to live in the Raleigh area, my favorite book buyback place is Edward McKay. They are located on Capital Blvd. and they offer both cash and store credit options for your books. If you aren't local, you can find something similar in almost any city or a city nearby.
This afternoon I took a bag full of books, including some old teacher books I wasn't using anymore, fiction, and a couple text books or books from college classes. They accepted about 30% of what I brought, and I received about $5 in store credit which I can use to pick out books from the store, and about $4 in cash. One tip to remember is that they only buy so many of a certain kind of book at a time, so don't write off those leftovers they didn't accept. I always hold on to them, try again in a month or so, and most often they are bought at another time. After a few tries, then I either try to sell or swap with my online sites, and as a last resort donate to a local thrift shop. Another thing to think about is deciding what kind of resource is best for which books. Anyhing that is current literature and recent textbooks I use online sites, because you get more money for your value. You need to decide which resource is the best for the books you have.
Stayed tuned for more tips on how to recycle your books!
--Savvyteacher

No comments: