Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Entertaining on a Budget!


One of my favorite things to do is to entertain. I am a very social person and love to go out with my friends, explore new places and enjoy our local favorites, but I also enjoy having people over for an evening of good food and fun. More and more I realize how much everyone saves when we take turns entertaining at our houses, and we always have just as much fun, if not more!

Last weekend was no exception. Last Saturday night I hosted a dinner party and thriftynester and her hubby came over to eat dinner with us. I love cooking as you might know if you are a frequent reader, and I love to find frugal ways to make more upscale and interesting meals. I wanted to challenge myself to utilize things I already had in combination with a quick trip to the store, to make a great meal for less while still being impressive!

We had a lovely meal, and spent less than $8 total for the whole meal! That is about $2 per person, plus the cost of dessert and wine. Going out for an evening dinner with friends usually runs about $20 a person, and while I sure do enjoy a night out, dining in is just as fun plus we enjoyed great food!

I cooked what I call "Tuscan Pasta" which includes a variety of vegetables and chicken and a homemade roasted red pepper sauce. If you enjoy cooking, this is a way to enjoy an evening out while saving money. If you have a group of friends and you trade off cooking and hosting, it can become a more frugal way to add to your social life.

--Savvyteacher

No comments: